Friday, October 06, 2006

Rephrasing

Wow... My last post was done decades ago....

I've been learning how to bring across a negative point using positive words. Let me cite some examples:
John makes an effort to come to school on time. Which simply translates to 'John is a perpetual latecomer.'
Or
'Mary is an outspoken person who is always willing to share.' Which should read 'Mary is downright talkative.'
Or
'Ben has a mind of his own and he is not easily influenced.' Which simply means 'Ben is super stubborn.'

This is really a skill I have yet to master. I am wondering if my teachers used to face this problem when they were writing testimonials or referral letters for me and my peers. Maybe I should start digging out my testimonial and see if there's any underlying meaning in it. Darn, maybe that's why Oxford didn't wanna offer me a place for Chem Eng.

1 comment:

irene said...

ha ha .. that was afunny.. you are such a nice teacher.. which school do you teach in? i want to be your student ler..
i will more like someone who makes extra effort to come to school on time, who are not easily influenced.. ha ha