Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Was I like that?

These few days, the students have been getting their prelims papers back. After endless hours of marking, I thought I can finally take a breather. How wrong, man! Students were bugging and begging for more marks. Some tried to argue their way through, trying to justify what they had written (which, most of the time, happened to be wrong). I'm not saying that all students who came to me have answers that were wrong, but some of them, knowing that their answers were wrong, still tried to convince me that half of what they had written was right, so they couldn't be considered wrong totally, and hence needed to be awarded marks!


Well, thinking back, I try to recall my time in Prime College. Did I or any of my peers approach our dear Chem tutor, Mrs Tan, to pester her for more marks? Not that I can remember. Is the difference in attitude due to the generation factor, or is it due to the environment? My colleagues (both from the same country I came from) and I were joking, maybe this is the difference between MIM and MIS. If the hypothesis is right, I'm so proud to say that I have less of this bugging-ability because I'm Made In Malaysia. :)

Having said that, dear students of mine, prelims is just prelims. A Level is just around the corner. Take the chance to learn from your mistakes and learn them well. You won't get the chance to bug the Caucasian who will be marking your paper!

4 comments:

irene said...

Ha ha.. i didn't know you are teaching? what subject? how's teaching life? well well i must say i am surprise to hear that... so i assume they want sympathy marks...

xin said...

haha...i believe u r not the only one who's surprised. Yes, I'm teaching Chemistry... Life has been good, but lately I'm beginning to think of alternatives. I am thinking of switching to challenge myself...but then again, there's a lot to consider...i think u'll agree with me, now that we r no longer swinging bachelorette... :)

irene said...

looks like all of us - u me waikea have a common theme in our lives...

Anonymous said...

and me 2....:)