Friday, April 27, 2007

Do you really mean it?

I was reading a student's blog and she said, "People often don't mean what they say." I was asking myself if I make this mistake myself.

Take for example, when I was entering the staffroom, a fellow colleague held the door for me, and my immediate response was 'thank you'. So, did I really mean it? Did I really appreciate her kindness of holding the door for me? Or did I say it out of courtesy? I think most probably the latter. So, well, I'm guilty.

That set me thinking how true is it when someone tells his or her other half 'I love you'. Is it out of obligation, or does he or she really mean it? Frankly, sometimes, I feel the word 'love' is too loosely used.

So do you really mean it?

2 comments:

irene said...

agree but sometimes even when we don't fully mean it.. when we continue to say it we will eventually mean it fully like you know postive feedback.. of course i am not saying i shouldn't say something we dont mean

ciao cuccioli said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.