Saturday, October 14, 2006

Farewell Assembly



Two days ago was the day I bade goodbye to 26 lovely people. Actually there were more than 26 but these 26 were special, coz they are from my civics class. Well, for the benefit of those who know nothing about Singapore's culture, we bid farewell to the JC2s (equivalent to Yr 2 of pre-u) before their A Levels. After the farewell assembly, they can officially stay at home to prepare for their exams.


A month before, I started sourcing for meaningful farewell gifts. Was thinking of something like a pocket name-stamp, or a personalised mouse pad (with the class photo on it), but these were kind of too expensive. Sorry students, teachers are underpaid and overworked! Hey, anyway just kidding, just in case the ministry decides to take action against my comment. In the end, I found something quite unique and personalised. Magnet tiles with their names written on them.

Anyway, the one I got for them only contains the square tile. The lady who sold the tiles to me was very nice, so she gave me one with my name plus the round one with the letter 'L' free of charge. Her little shop in Potong Pasir sells lots of cute stuffs.
So well, this is what I got for them plus a little handmade card, with personalised messages written painstakingly. When I sat down to write each and every card, I recalled the first day I met each of them, and recalled the sweet little things they had done, silly mistakes they made, trouble they got into etc etc. Each message was written with lots of memories and love. 2 years really zoomed by so quickly.
On the actual day of the farewell, it was really a bittersweet affair. Some students cried, well, I did too. A girl came up to me and told me she knew she hasn't been putting in her best, but she said, with determination, she will show it to me that she'll work hard. That's so..... well....and I teared. Haha... Some gave me cards with touching messages. Some of the boys were too ego to say anything mushy face to face, so I received quite a few heartwarming smses after that. One goes like this: 'Miss Lee. haha very paiseh to say face to face. but really wan say thanks for everything and i know i always make u angry haha but dont take it to heart k. Take care of yourself and ur baby. Eh dont miss us too much also. haha'
Well, pardon the grammatical errors etc, this is Singapore and this is how we type messages.
Ppl of S53, I'm gonna miss u so much. Off into the world you go, whatever your future holds, I give my utmost blessings.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

hi ms lee,

thank you for your personalised gifts..must have spent a bomb and killed quite abit of your brain cells too..haha.

thank you for being a part of our short 2 yrs spent in sa, for being more than a teacher to us, a mother and friend. i will nv forget the little xtra things that u did for us- the paper we had to fill in on the first civics, the little notes, the phone calls, etc. not forgetting that 'memorable' afternoon u stayed to listen to us grumble bout...u rmb? and helping out with worship, all the college events..
thanks for going the xtra mile!

altho teaching might not have been your first choice, what matters most imptly is the difference u've made in our lives. may God bless u with gd health and in everything that u embark on, your family, your friends. take care!

lotsa love from a student (:
ps: sorry this came abit late heh..

xin said...

Hi anonymous,

Thks for letting me know I have been doing something worthwhile. Appreciate it very much. :)

Anonymous said...

Well done Le Xin! I think it is just so amazing that you have chosen such a noble profession! And I am sure your students appreciate you greatly. Reading your post brought back lots of memories... of school days, of great teachers! Take care of yourself, and the little one! :)

irene said...

Le xin.. aw... you are so sweet.. i wish i am your student! now you have inspired me to become a teacher as well .. =) well done i am so proud of you !!! just curious, what was your first choice? whatever it is, i want to Assure yuo that God has blessed you tremendously as you continue to pour out your lives into others, making an impact in their hearts that will last for eternity.. that is what God cherish in us... aw... so proud of you *tear*