Thursday, September 14, 2006

30 years - contented?

Yesterday, over lunch, my colleague expressed his views on marriage. He said he would thank God if God allows him to be with his wife for 30 years. That struck me. 30 years? That's freaking short. I mean my daddy and mummy have been married for 28 years, I don't see them being separated, either by death or divorce, in the next 2 years!! No way!

But I have to agree with my colleague. We can't take life for granted, be it ours or our spouse's. If God allows me to be with my man for 30 years, I should be very thankful. No one knows what will happen the next minute. But the greed in me still insists that a 30-year marriage is not sufficient. I mean if God allows me to have 30 years only, I'll be only 55 years old. The age where most people start to enjoy the fruit of their labour. No, I want to enjoy my retirement days with my hubby. I have always wanted to know how does it feel when he holds my hand when both of us are old, no longer in our prime, no longer as healthy. I always envy old couple who are still lovey-dovey. I hope to see that happening to me and my hubby.

So dear Lord, I still want to thank You if You give me 30 years of marriage. But Lord, anything more than 30 years is a bonus. And like all typical Singaporeans (although I'm not truly one), I will, deep down in my heart, hope for a year-end bonus!!

1 comment:

irene said...

haha .,.. what a great coincidence! my hubby also said 30 years... !!